Aloe - the natural home remedy

Aloe - the natural home remedy
Aloe vera or Aloe barbadensis miller is a perennial xerophyte found commonly in the tropical regions. It has many therapeutic components, such as antimicrobial, antifungal, anti- inflammatory, antidiabetic, antineoplastic, anti-oxidant, wound healing, immune-stimulation and anticancer effects. In a research carried out in Tanjore, qualitatively it was found that Aloe contains the phytochemical compounds, such as tannins, saponins, flavonoids and terpenoids. While it was found that there was absence of phlobatannins. Aloe plant consists of an outer green leaf and an inner fleshy part that consists of 99% water. The remaining 1% consists of other powerful chemical compounds, such as vitamins, minerals, sugars, enzymes, lignins, amino acids, anthraquinones, saponins, fatty acids and salicylic acid. The carbohydrate named mannan (or acetylated mannan) has been found to involve primarily in wound healing, but its mechanism is not yet fully understood. The leaf gel consists of certain glucan compounds called maloylglucans. Among them, veracylglucan B and veracylglucan C are subgroups, which involve in high anti-inflammatory and proliferative effects in the body respectively. It was found that, Aloe is the only known plant source for vitamin B12, a water soluble vitamin. It also contains vitamin C and E, which involve in proper blood circulation, and is also a good anti-oxidant. It also contains vitamin A, folic acid and choline. Certain minerals like calcium, chromium, copper, selenium, magnesium, manganese, potassium, sodium, germanium and zinc are also found in Aloe. Germanium present in Aloe is found to involve in therapeutic benefits against pain, circulatory problems and eye problems. The leaf gel has certain fatty acids, such as β-sisosterol, cholesterol, campesterol and lupeol, which have anti-inflammatory action. Plant hormones like auxins and gibberellins provide beneficial effect on the body like anti-inflammation and also help in wound healing. Apart from many of such skin remedies, it was also found from many studies that, Aloe vera plant is very effective against type 2 Diabetes. Although Aloe vera has many clinical benefits, many can be prone to allergic reactions. It can cause burning, irritation and any other dermatological problems. The allergic reactions are due to the anthraquinones present in the gel. Prolonged oral use of the gel causes abdominal pain, cramps, hepatitis and can also lead to colo-rectal cancer.

Aloe vera has been found to have many medicinal and skin benefits and can be used everyday for a healthy life. But like all the other compounds, use of this leaf also has its own limitations; hence, care should be taken to produce good results.
How to cite this article:
Fahmina Yasmin M. Aloe - the natural home remedy. BioLim O-Media. 27 January, 2015. 3(1).
Available from: http://archive.biolim.org/omedia/read/BOMA0071.